Jerk Holiday Hens
Use Jule's Gourmet Foods Jamaican Jerk Sauce™ for marinating meats and fish, in dressings and sauces and in stews and soups.
To cool the heat, we suggest you serve Jule's Gourmet Foods Jamaican Jerk Sauce™ with a starch like bread, rice or potatoes. You can also use limes, lemons or vinegar to neutralize some of the heat.
Jerk Holiday Hens
* TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS plus overnight marinating
* SERVINGS: 4
4 Cornish game hens (about 2 pounds each) cleaned
8 Tbsp. Jule’s Gourmet Foods Jamaican Jerk Sauce / Marinade
- Using kitchen scissors, cut out the backbone of each hen. Press down on the breasts to flatten the hens. Set them in a baking dish and coat them all over with the Jule’s Gourmet Foods Jamaican Jerk sauce. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 300°. Set the hens on 2 large rimmed baking sheets and bake for 45 minutes, until firm but not browned or cooked through.
- Meanwhile, light a grill. Grill the hens over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until cooked through and lightly charred in spots, about 20 minutes. Transfer the hens to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
* Mix a small amount of Jule’s Gourmet Jamaican Jerk Sauce|Mariande into mayonnaise to really spice up your hamburger and sandwiches. Or as a delicious dip for your vegetables or chips (plantain chips are our favorites!) for your next party.
Leftover Jerk-Turkey Hash
Serves 4-6 people
2 cups Leftover Turkey, diced
1 cup Turkey neck (from gravy stock), shredded
3 oz. Leftover porchetta, rendered and diced
1 cup Sweet potatoes, diced and blanched
1 cup Leftover roasted potatoes, chopped
½ cup Scallion or onion, diced
1 T. Jalapeno, minced
½ cup Roasted tomatoes, diced
2 T. Parsley, chopped
1 T. Oregano (or other hard herb) chopped
1-2 T. Jule’s Gourmet Foods Jamaican Jerk Sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
Render the porchetta slices and reserve the fat, if you do not have porchetta you can use pancetta or bacon. After rendering, dice the meat and set aside.
In the same pan you cooked the porchetta, add the scallion or onion and cook over medium heat until translucent and then add the jalapeno and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and then add the potatoes to cook all ingredients together. Once everything is tender and mixed well, add the turkey meat and cook for 3 minutes more. If you are using turkey that has not been cooked with Jule’s Gourmet Foods Jamaican jerk sauce, add the desired amount at this point.
Stir well and season the mixture again then add the herbs, tomatoes and check seasoning one last time. This may be cooled and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
When you are ready to serve, heat a small nonstick pan and add 1 T. of neutral oil to heat before adding 1 cup of the hash. Let the hash cook and brown before turning it and then stir infrequently so that it will develop a nice crust. Cook for 5-6 minutes and once it is browned, make a well in the center of the pan and drop an egg to cook until just set. Serve immediately with grilled bread or toast.
Jerk Crab and Sweet Potato Dip
Serves 4-6 people
½ Cup crabmeat
1 large sweet potato (1-11/2 cups)
5 cloves garlic, blanched 3 times
1 small onion, sliced thin
4 slices bacon, sliced thin
T. Jule’s Gourmet Foods Jerk Sauce
1 ½ Cup mascarpone cheese
In a large saucepan, add sliced sweet potatoes, garlic cloves and enough water or milk to cover. Simmer until potatoes are very tender and then drain and puree in a food processor or through a food mill.
Cook the bacon until it renders some fat and then cook the sliced onions over medium heat for 10 minutes until caramelized and season with salt and pepper and jerk sauce. Add to the puree and heat over very low heat to warm. Add the mascarpone cheese and when warm, stir in the crabmeat.